
I know, I know. I'm just another mom with a full-time job. But sometimes I feel like the busiest person in the whole world. After getting Brady in bed tonight I was tired and discouraged at the amount of work to do. Dirty dishes on nearly every surface in my kitchen, litter boxes to be cleaned, animals to be fed, clothes on the floor to put away, soon-to-be 3 loads of clean laundry to fold, nothing that even vaguely resembles a meal plan or a grocery list, a highly cluttered dresser, piles of mail and other paperwork requiring my attention in many places throughout the house, garbage cans to be emptied and the dumpsters taken to the curb for garbage day, rent to deposit, tenants to email to remind about cleaning checks this weekend, minutes to compile from Sunday's presidency meeting and assignments to email to the other presidency members. Oh, and I was late for work today because Brady pooped on the carpet. I'm sure you get the idea.
So I started with the dishes and was mildly angry at myself for getting behind again. I work so hard and take so few breaks. It shouldn't be this difficult! I shouldn't have to work this hard to be this far behind! As I was washing the dishes, I had a stunning realization.
Friday, I had a clean kitchen because Scott worked hard cleaning the house all day while I was at work all day. Every woman should be so lucky to have a husband like him.
Saturday, I didn't do dishes because after Brady was in bed, Scott and I worked on his homework together for hours.
Sunday, I didn't do dishes because we visited extended family and Brady got to play with his cousins.
Monday, I didn't do dishes because we were studying scripture stories and making smoothies for family night, and then Scott and I worked on his homework again until we couldn't keep our eyes open anymore. I like being his study buddy.
This evening I didn't do dishes because Brady wanted to watch a show. We had Subway for dinner (Mom, if you see Santa Claus please tell him thank you for the gift card) and then snuggled on the couch watching The Little Engine that Could while Daddy was at bishopric meeting. I must have kissed his little face a hundred times.
And suddenly, I felt like the luckiest busy mom to have 4 days worth of dirty dishes in my kitchen. I may not be doing everything right, but my family knows I love them. Scott knows that I am willing to spend time working through his math problems with him. Brady knows that I am willing to put down my smartphone and turn my back on the chores so that he can lay his head on my shoulder. And I will never forget how much fun we had with my cousins, making 2 batches of brownies and 3 batches of air-popped popcorn to eat while watching Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I'll never forget how cute Brady was during every fight scene, standing up and yelling "THEY NEED TO STOP FIGHTING!" He's so precious and pure, and growing up so fast.
Yes, I can do a better job of planning my day ahead of time and getting more accomplished. But if the cost is missing out on those little moments, maybe the comfort of a perfectly clean home is just not worth it!
4 comments:
I love it. I'm glad dirty dishes don't top your list of priorities. And for what it's worth, I think you do a fantastic job juggling it all. The trick isn't to have all the balls up in the air at once--it's knowing which ones to set down for awhile. And you're doing awesome.
Thank you for taking a moment of your precious time to write this. As a mommy who feels so inadequate and underaccomplished needed to take a look back on her day and see why all the things I set out to do didn't get done because I too had spent my time taking kids to school, Dr appointments, feeding and rocking a baby, science fair project, home work, reading to kids, meeting with the bishop... Feeding and rocking baby again... And the list goes on... But crazy me looked back at all the things I didn't accomplish today. Now I will head to bed and know how much I must love my family! And with a clearer picture of what I did accomplish! Again thank you!
I love this! It makes me feel better about the condition of my house- and I'm NOT working a full-time job (other than mother). Melody and Ainsley seem to be very happy, fulfilled, and smart little girls- despite the cluttered and sometimes messy house.
I love your list of reasons you didn't wash the dishes! Sometimes I look around and see lots of dirty dishes (or something similar) and remembering why all those dishes are dirty (because of spending quality time with family or friends), it makes me feel all good inside!
Post a Comment