It seems a little silly now, but I had a huge tragedy this morning. I was driving to work, and I had JUST gotten on the freeway (i.e. too late to turn around and go back home to grab anything) and I reached in my purse to grab my cell phone. I had heard a text message arrive just before walking out the door and wanted to read it, but my phone wasn't in my purse. So the first though is - oh no, what if is was an urgent text? Okay, I'll just call Scott to find out...nope, no phone. Also, I was supposed to run an errand for Scott after work, and he will have no way of getting ahold of me to give me the address. So I'm upset, and my immediate reaction again is to want to call Scott because he will make me feel better. Not an option. My little mind couldn't seem to wrap around the idea that there was NO PHONE in my car, because when I realized it wasn't an option to call Scott, my next reaction was that I wanted to call my mom. STILL not an option! I was upset, and none of my ideas to calm myself down were an option! I got so mad I started crying. Once finally I calmed down, I tried to think of other things to do with my time (the drive is about 35 minutes each way). My ideas were: schedule my visiting teaching appointments (requires a phone…), call BYU Independent Study and find out how much an extension costs(…), and listen to a talk on my ipod. So I turned on a talk, but I was so mad I could hardly listen. Is that awful, that I was THAT upset about not having my cell phone with me? Does modern society have a vice grip on me, or am I so enmeshed in those around me that I can hardly function without knowing they are always, literally, at arms length?
Anyway, I’m going to begin the long, lonely 35 minute drive home from work now.
November Rain - Guns N' Roses
7 years ago
1 comment:
I can totally relate...I hate when I lose my phone or forget it. Driving is so boring too. Don't be hard on yourself...there is nothing wrong with wanting to talk to your mom or hubby.
Post a Comment