Tuesday: Surgery in the morning, and a fun-filled evening with lots of visitors and popsicles, and very little pain. It was a relief for both of us to have the scary part over, and we were excited about spending the whole week together.
Wednesday: Lots of naps and cuddling (that includes the kitties!)
Thursday: The real pain and nausea began...
Friday: ...and got worse (my only relief was in hour-long bubble baths and very, very gentle hugs from Scott)
Saturday: Getting a little easier, but I can't tell if the pain is going away or if I am just adjusting to the circumstances. We went to our ward Chili Cook-off for a few minutes because we are on the activities committee and had some assignments, but I couldn't eat anything or stand up for very long so we just went home.
Sunday: Showered and got ready for church, but crumpled on the floor in pain and exhaustion so we didn't make it to church. We went to the Williamson's house for a family dinner later (after a long nap) and I ate a few soft foods and laid on their couch the rest of the evening.
Monday: The worst day yet with the pain and nausea.
And today: STIR CRAZY and trying to manage my pain and get off the Percocet. I want to get out of this house and go back to work tomorrow!
I have been blessed with very good health for most of my life and am fortunate that times like these are rare. I have learned a lot about the power of positive thinking and the value of a loving husband. Scott has been absolutely amazing. He brought me whatever I wanted to eat (usually Jello or instant mashed potatoes), made sure I stuck to my pain meds and antibiotics schedule all hours of the day AND night (the night meds were particularly difficult for both of us), and picked me up off the ground emotionally and physically when I got discouraged. I am so lucky to be married to such an amazing man who continually exceeds my expectations.
I also owe our home teachers, Brent and Kelsey Rogers, a big thank you. Brent helped Scott give me a blessing the night before the surgery, and they brought over dinner for Scott the following evening along with a bunch of religious movies. I would not have thought to pop in Legacy or the Testaments otherwise, but it is incredible what a spiritual warm-fuzzy can do to relieve physical pain. I was a teensy bit emotional though. Scott walked into the room while I was watching the opening scene in the Testaments to find me sobbing. What's wrong Nadine? Joseph and Mary! The innkeepers won't let them in! Mary is already in a lot of pain from riding that donkey, and she is not even complaining! She is going to have to have baby Jesus in a stable. (tender smile) Nadine, it will be okay. We know how the story ends.
Thank you to my family for the Get Well card. Thank you to the Morrills and to Ann Robertson for visiting. Thank you to Scott's family for the Get Well card AND for visiting! And thank you to Scott for the lambie. She is great to cuddle with.
As long as everything goes as planned from here on out, I will have far fewer sore throats and not be so tired all the time. And if I still get an occasional sore throat, at least I will be able to put it into perspective because I now know what a REAL sore throat feels like!
4 comments:
Nadine--I hope you don't mind me checking out your blog...I found it through Rachel's.
I am so sorry I didn't realize that you had had a T&A when I saw you on Saturday!
I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but I have always heard that day 6 is the hardest day after a T&A (my sister and 2 brothers had theirs removed). I hope you are starting to fell better. Hang in there!
Nadine,
I'm glad you had your tonsils removed, but I'm not happy that you have had a hard time recuperating. You have been blessed with good health most of your life! It's great that you are on the mend. I'm still praying for you. (I always will--even when you aren't getting better from surgery.) Grandma M put your name on the LA Temple prayer roll.
I so remember the pain...it is horrible. Hang in there. I am glad that Scott is being such a great support; he is a real keeper.
I hope that you are doing much better now that it has been almost 10 days! The Jello and mashed potato diet sounds pretty good.:)
Post a Comment